Mobile phones can act as a reservoir of a wide variety of bacterial species, many of which have the potential to be pathogenic. Mobile devices used in schools are of particular concern, as they have been implicated in the spread of nosocomial infections (diseases originating in a hospitals). Microbial contamination is most commonly found on the mouthpiece, although the earpiece and the handles of mobile telephones can also a host a harbour of bacterial species, especially those contained in human faecal matter. Yuck. While indirect contamination from person to person has decreased with the decline in the use of public payphones, mobile phones, keyboards, mice and other personal mobile devices in general has been found to be even more conducive to bacterial contamination
The majority of bacterial species that have been found on phone surfaces are those that are part of the normal bugs found on the skin and body, due to constant contact with the hands and face. The normal gremlin’s residing on the skin includes up to 10 to the 12th power (10,000,000,000,000) of bacterial cells on a standard sized iPhone. The most common species being staphylococcus aureus (responsible for food poisoning) and Corynebacteria (which cause Diphtheria). In addition, bacteria found in the mouth and the upper respiratory tract can also spread through droplets that are released while breathing or talking into the mouthpiece. Many species are resistant to ‘anti-bacterial wipes’ and can persist on phone surfaces for weeks, with gram-negative bacteria (ones that don’t show in a petri dish) usually persisting longer than their gram-positive counterparts. The colonisation and growth of bacteria has increased almost exponentially with children and their generally weaker immune systems and insanitary habits added to the equation. It’s no coincidence that the marked rise in peer to peer infections between children has risen in direct correlation with the rise of mobile devices which are passed about, with headphones and other accessories shared between grubby hands and ears.
Before you reach for the Dettol, the first step to keep your devices clean is making sure you and your children are following basic hygiene rules. The numbers of people in the West who are regressing, and not following these rules is truely asutounding. Washing your hands after using the lavatorty is a given, but after eating, sneezing or coughing, we seem to think nothing of reaching for our phones when we hear a chime/beep/tone or ring. This, combined with the other half of the population who are obsessive about bacteria and almost bathe their children in Domestos every day, which is not only not letting the child develop a natural immunity, but is also allowing the bacteria to mutate and become resistant to chemical cleaning, is breeding a new generation of superbugs. Where possible, try to encourage children to keep the sharing of devices to a minimum. Children rapidly pass on warts (HPV), cold sores (herpes), and a multitude of other nasties above and beyond the common cold much faster than us oldies, who grew up sitting in mountains of mud pies and, in my case, digging for coal/oil/gold in my parents vegetable patch. There is only one way to ‘bleach’ your phone with a near 100% success rate, and that’s with UVC light.
Phalanx-IT engineers carry and are trained in the safe use of UVC (the most hazardous form of UV light to organic life) lamps designed for killing bugs on phones, keyboards, mice and tablets, keys etc without exposing you or your children to UVC light, which, when used by a trained engineer is 100% safe, leaves NO ‘residual’ radiation and breaks down the RNA (Ribonucleic Acid) of the nasties and destroys bacterial cell walls immediately.
Phalanx-IT carry UVC lamps designed for safely killing bugs on phones, keyboards, mice and tablets, without exposing you or your children to dangerous UVC light, which, when used properly is 100% safe, leaves NO ‘residual’ radiation and breaks down the RNA (Ribonucleic Acid) and destroys bacterial cell walls immediately on exposure. It takes 5 minutes of UVC light to ‘Nuke’ a device and completely sterilise it. This is covered in our call out fee to ALL our customers on upto 4 devices, or can be done on a commercial or educational premises as a standalone service. Don’t take our word for it, this advice is issued by the US CDC (Centres for Disease Control) and the NHS in the UK, see the links at the bottom of the article
Which?, the U.K. consumer organisation, found in a 2015 study that keyboards can be up to five times dirtier than the average domestic lavatory seat. The major culprits for this grotiness are people not washing their hands after using the loo and eating food at their desks. In the latter case, sticky fingers transfer sauces and edible particles onto and between the keys. Our fingers also rub skin oils onto the keys, and keyboards become a mecca for germs to fester and grow, as several studies over the years have shown. One common bug that researchers have turned up is staphylococcus aureus, a classic causer of food poisoning, signs of which include nausea and diarrhoea, which, when improperly and hurridly washed hands is then propogated on to shared surfaces and the next thing you know, you have a residential or office epedemic. Accordingly, stomach sicknesses caught from computer equipment has been dubbed "QWERTY tummy" and is often blamed on 'dirty mugs/cups' or glasses, when the guilty party is, most of the time, sitting right under your fingertips